Eye Care: What Is Diabetic Retinopathy?
At Monterey Baye Eye Center we know eye care. Today we discuss Diabetic retinopathy. Diabetic retinopathy, the most common diabetic eye disease, occurs when blood vessels in the retina change. Sometimes these vessels swell and leak fluid or even close off completely. In other cases, abnormal new blood vessels grow on the surface of the retina.
What Is Glaucoma? What Are the Symptoms of Glaucoma?
Glaucoma is a disease that damages your eye’s optic nerve. It usually happens when fluid builds up in the front part of your eye. That extra fluid increases the pressure in your eye, damaging the optic nerve.
Nearsightedness: What Is Myopia?
Myopia, or nearsightedness, is a refractive error, which means that the eye does not bend or refract light properly to a single focus to see images clearly. In myopia, close objects look clear but distant objects appear blurred. Myopia is a common condition that affects an estimated 25 percent of Americans.
What Is Presbyopia?
Presbyopia (which literally means “aging eye”) is an age-related eye condition that makes it more difficult to see very close.
What Is Age-Related Macular Degeneration?
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a deterioration or breakdown of the eye’s macula. The macula is a small area in the retina — the light-sensitive tissue lining the back of the eye. The macula is the part of the retina that is responsible for your central vision, allowing you to see fine details clearly.
- All About Cataracts (PDF, 245KB)
- Better Vision…Better Life: A LIfestyle Questionnaire (PDF, 117KB)
- Dry Eye: Why is it a Disease and not just a Nuisance? (178kb)
- Flashers and Floaters: What You Need to Know (PDF, 204KB)
- Glaucoma Medicines Only Work If You Take Them (PDF, 146KB)
- Glaucoma: The Silent Thief of Sight (PDF, 181KB)
- The Importance of Routine Eye Examinations (PDF, 273KB)
- Lens Implant Choices After Cataract Surgery (PDF, 172KB)
- Optic Nerve Scans for Glaucoma (PDF, 213KB)
- Parts of the Eye (PDF, 242KB)
- Performing the Visual Field Test (PDF, 145KB)
- Sample pre_YAG Capsulotomy Patient Questionnaire (PDF, 120KB)
- Refractive Surgery Basics (PDF, 148KB)
- SLT: Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty (PDF, 227kb)
- Welcome to Presbyopia (PDF, 166KB)
- What Can I Do for Dry Eyes (PDF, 166KB)
- What to Expect if You Have Glaucoma (PDF, 187KB)
- Why are Eye Exams Important in Diabetes? (PDF, 220KB)
- Why It Is Important that You Take Yourl Gaucoma Medications Regularly (PDF, 170KB)
- Your Eyes Should Not Itch and Burn as You Age (PDF, 203KB)